Willys Hotchkiss Jeeps
Willys Hotchkiss JeepsWillys Hotchkiss Jeeps
Diary
 

Dodge nearly finished - one of the final blogs...
20/05/2011
 

The dodge has 'come together' very well, and is nearing completion.  It has now passed the MOT  - so we will now have the 'beast' back out on the road again - ready for the show season.

I have just finished adding the correct decals to the side of the vehicle, and finished the wiring.  You will note, in the pictures as well, I have added back the door fasteners (picture to right). They are simple levers with springs that rotate in holes in  the body-work to hold the canvas doors shut.  If you look carefully you can see the part numbers stamped on the castings - indicating these are definately the originals rather than post market replacements.

In the back has been fitted the thick rubber matting (next picture) onto the rear of the vehicle - to replace the rubber carpet from before.. if you want some of this matting contact me as I have a source for these excellent 'green' - that's environmental not olive drab! - alternatives to car mats!

The dodge looks good with the front wings back on again with the canvas piping and a good helping of black silicone mastic in all gaps to stop vibration rubbing and water ingress.

I managed to source a side light from a 50's military lorry in france - it interestingly has a dodge gear stick knob attached to the rear so it can be directed by hand - a very fitting addittion. I will be replacing the windscreen blades soon - but am waiting for War and Peace as you can find correct ones there at a good price from the dutch dealers..

The flaming grenade markings are in the same position as I found the originals, but they had been sanded down very well (as well as the front number plate) so I had to completely recreate these rather than 'touch up' like the other markings I found.

The next picture is the vehicle BEFORE and AFTER - hope you can see the difference!!

Again a picture of the dodge lurking in the workshop - before and after.. the indicators have now been encorporated into the black out lights and the original white bumper edges added back in .

In the next couple of weeks it will be regreasing the chassis -  a full oil change and obtaining a new MOT! (then back to the Hotchkiss project as the rebuilt engine is nearing completion)

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Archives