Willys Hotchkiss Jeeps
Willys Hotchkiss JeepsWillys Hotchkiss Jeeps
Diary
 

Panhard AML 60 - rear bins and exhaust system - latest blog
07/11/2011
 

The AML rebuild is going well.  Things have moved on since the last blog - and my location has changed.  The storage facilities are cold! so smaller items are now being rebuilt in my garage attached to the side of the house!

This month I have been concentrating on the exhaust system.  The engine vents through a set of complicated pipework to the outside of the vehicle (you can see the dark hole infront of the rear wheel in this first picture).

After this the exhaust runs up the inside or the stowage bins and exits into a large muffler behind the turret. This in turn exits via two flexible pipes to the very top of the rear stowage bins.  This also acts as a heat exchanger and warms air pulled into the vehicle engine bay for circulation around the air cooled engine..

This next picture shows you how it is meant to look on the rear of the stowage bins.. you can see the flexible pipe entering the exhaust final section on the right - then the very small slit aperature for the exhaust gasses on the  left of the same unit..

As you can see from these next two pictures - these final exhaust parts were in bad shape from the vehicle I imported.  They were rusted through and had lots of scribblings from children on them where they had scratched their Spanish names and the dates - mostly form 1984 - 1986! - It must have been left outside for some time!!

The first picture is the unit the correct way up - the next picture shows you the pipework underneath.

The next - quite dark picture shows the unit after I have restored it. Lots of new metal has been let in, and the final 1/4 had to be completely rebuilt to eradicate crumples and totally rotten tin work - you can just make out the join if you look hard enough!.  I have also replaced the original pipework with mild steel flexible exhaust underneath.  I have had to slightly modify the exit aperature for the gases as the flexible pipe wasn't 'flexible' enough to allow a direct copy of the slit..

Lastly here's the heat exchange boxes that sit directly below this final exhaust unit.  They are just simple steel boxes with a hole in the bottom.  As you can see from the first picture I had amassed a few of them, but all were in such bad condition that I had to make mine from scratch. I made a cardboard copy in 3d of the unit, then dissembled it - lay it out on flat sheet steel, cut round and hey presto a 'ready-to-assemble' heat exchange box from a 60's armoured car!

 The last picture is the new unit, that will be dressed to flatten back the welds - then primed, then sprayed and fitted to the rear of the tank..

Next job is the fitting of the rear stowage bins and finishing off the front wings.. check out my next blog when this is completed.

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Archives